FID Card Process
FIREARMS APPLICANT PROCEDURE
Please note: RTSP cannot help you in the procurement of an FID card. Please use the information below to understand the FID card process. If you have any questions regarding the process, please contact you local police department or NJ State Police.
1. Type or Print all information clearly, on all forms.
2. All addresses must be complete with house number, street, town, state, and zip code and PO Box (If applicable).
3. All forms must be signed. It is requested you complete this in the presence of the law enforcement officer where you are submitting the application to.
4. Return all completed and unused forms.
5. Height shall be in feet and inches, Ex. 6’4″. 6. Indicate Race with either Asian, Black, American Indian or White.
7. If you are applying for a Handgun Purchase Permit, there is no limit on the quantity of permits you may apply for.
* The falsification of information on any of the applications for firearms permits is a violation of N.J.S. 2C:39-10c and is crime of the third degree. Any falsification may result in criminal charges against you.
First Time Applicants for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit
1. All first time applicants MUST be fingerprinted. The fingerprint process will be completed by IndentoGo (Morpho Trust). This information and appointment form will be provided upon the submission of your properly completed firearms application.
2. Complete the Consent for Mental Health Records Search, form S.P. 66 (Rev. 11/07).
3. Complete a State of New Jersey Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit, Form STS-033 (Rev. 09/09).
4. References should not be relatives, and addresses must be complete, for mailing purposes.
Subsequent Applicants for Additional Permits to Purchase a Handgun or Duplicate Firearms Purchaser Cards
1. A Criminal History Records Check must be conducted on all subsequent applications.
2. As of April 2014, the State Bureau of Identification (SBI) has mandated that all 212A forms must be completed electronically. SBI will no longer accept the yellow 212A paper form for a Duplicate Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and Handgun Purchase Permits. See below for new instructions to complete the 212A process electronically.
212A ONLINE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
• Login to the website https:/www.njportal.com/njsp/criminalrecords/
• When asked for the agency=s ORI number, enter the ORI number provided by your local municipality or if the New Jersey State Police provides police service for your municipality you must acquire the ORI number from the barracks that patrols your municipality.
• A literal translation will appear giving the option of continuing or canceling the filing.
• If you choose to continue you will fill out the demographics and select the background needed. For Firearm Purchaser Identification Cards and Handgun Purchase Permits you will select : NJS 2C:58-3. Firearm licensing.
• You will then be requested to enter your State Bureau of Identification number (SBI number- also known as the Firearms Identification number). This is to ensure that you have been finger printed under a firearms application before. If you have not you will be rejected from the process at this time.
• If all information is correct, you will then check out by making the payment by credit card or electronic check. Once the payment is verified, you will receive a Conformation & Receipt that will include your confirmation number. It is recommended you save this document for your records.
• You will find additional instructions in the help section once you set up your account and become a user.
3. Additional purchase permit applicants must fill out the State of New Jersey Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit, Form STS-033 (Rev. 09/09).
4. Applicants for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card duplicate card, i.e., mutilated, lost or stolen, change of address, name and/or sex, must complete form STS-033 as noted above.
5. All applicants must complete the Consent for Mental Health Search, form SP-66 (Rev. 11/07).
6. Current issued Firearms Purchaser Identification Card shall be surrendered at the time of submission of new application.
1. Firearms ID Card- $ 5.00- Initial Only, no fee for a duplicate card.
2. Permit to Purchase a Handgun- $ 2.00 each (These fees may be paid by check, or money order payable to the law enforcement agency where the application is submitted.) If you are applying for a Handgun Purchase Permit, there is no limit on the quantity of permits you may apply for.
3. Criminal History Check- fee is $20.00 – Only required after you have been initially fingerprinted. I.E. – Duplicate Firearms ID Card, Permit to Purchase a Handgun. (MUSTBE PAID USING THE ONLINE APPLICATION)
4. IndentoGo (Morpho Trust) – Information to include appointments and fees will be provided upon submission of a correctly completed application.
*If you are in need of further assistance or direction, contact your local Municipal Police Department or State Police Barracks for guidance.